Search This Blog

Monday, May 5, 2014

 I thought I would begin to chronicle my journey in animal rescue.  I hope to bring everyone along with me on this crazy ride.  It is a trip that is often exhausting, heartbreaking and feels some days like it will swallow me whole.  Luckily the feeling of knowing I was a small link in a chain of amazing people that forever changed an animals life is addicting.  I live for the update emails from the adopters.  The pictures they send of their new beloved member of the family and the "Thanks" and "We love him/her so much!"  This is the fuel that keeps me in this crazy game.

   As I began to write this I was trying to figure out when my passion for animals began and all I can say is I believe I was born with it.  It is as part of my DNA as my blonde hair and blue eyes.  I grew up in a rural area where people tended to dump their animals and others didn't believe in spaying or neutering and animals ran free.  My first memory is at about the age of 4 years old.  A stray dog wandered into our yard full of mats in his fur and  blood sucking ticks bleeding him dry.  I grabbed empty Cool Whip bowls out of the cabinet and filled one with dog food and one with water.  I grabbed baby doll blankets and my little kid scissors and set out to help this pup.

    It was a process to gain this little guys trust.  I remember distinctly looking into his eyes and being struck by how hollow and scared he was and knowing on a molecular level how wrong it was that he was in such a horrific state.  I didn't have words at such a young age to express what I felt but my heart connected with his and I was going to do all I could to help.  I spent the afternoon picking off ticks and cutting out burrs and mats.  I did all I could with my limited resources to make it right for this little fella.  He only stayed a few days and moved on.  I don't know what ever ended up happening to him but I was hooked.  Helping animals has been a growing and all consuming passion ever since.  I know my purpose on this earth is to help as many animals and hopefully create permanent change for animals before I lay my head on my pillow for the last time.

   For those involved in rescue, it is like an addiction or disease.  I mean the ones who are consumed by it and not those that do it because it seems to be the "in" thing right now.  Those people wash out pretty quickly and move on to feeding starving children or helping the homeless or whatever the new "cool" charity is.  It is all consuming.  I feel like I need to step away at times and gain control of my life again.  I am a wife, mother and I work a full time job.  I try to back away but I can't stay away.  I am all too aware if I take a step back that dogs die because they won't be pulled into rescue.  I am one less person to help shoulder the weight of the epidemic that is animals affected by irresponsible owners.  I feel selfish and so I jump straight back in the deep end.  Barely able to keep my head above water but too stubborn to admit defeat.

   I have been blessed to meet some of the most amazing people I have ever had the pleasure to know through rescue from all over the country.  I am constantly in a state of wonderment by what this group of scrappy animal lovers can accomplish.  From volunteering in the kill shelters these dogs come from, to fostering them before they transport, sacrificing time on a weekend to drive them from the south up north to the receiving rescues.  The foster's I hold dear to my heart that take care of the puppies I pull until a forever home can be found and the incredible placement coordinators, such as myself, that I volunteer with.  Finally I am indebted to the people who don't care about pedigree and open their heart and homes to these sweet babies and adopt them.

   I will write more about what I do in rescue and some of the amazing dogs I have been blessed to know.  Their journeys are incredible and I have been deeply touched by each and every one.  I love them all.  These forgotten dogs teach me daily how to be a better person.  I look forward to sharing this journey with you all.  Please join me.  I look forward to your comments even if you don't agree with me.  I am always open to a healthy debate.  I hope to open some eyes, as well, to what is going on in this country concerning animals.  Thank you for joining me and welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment